Opening of the temporary exhibition: Philippi 1914-2014 One hundred years of research of the French School at Athens

Opening of the temporary exhibition: Philippi 1914-2014 One hundred years of research of the French School at Athens

Start Date:  13 Oct 2014

End Date:  13 Oct 2014

Showroom:  Amphitheatre "Stefanos Dragoumis"

The Museum of Byzantine Culture and the French School at Athens present the temporary exhibition, titled Philippi 1914-2014 One hundred years of research of the French School at Athens, in the wing of temporary exhibitions “Kyriakos Krokos" of the Museum. The exhibition includes many photographs, drawings and maquettes from the archives of the French School at Athens, the University of Lausanne and the Museum of Byzantine Culture. This material is mainly from the first decades of the excavations in Philippi, particularly focusing on the findings of the Byzantine era. In this context, the Museum of Byzantine Culture, honouring the memory of the recently deceased Eftychia Kourkoutidou-Nicolaidou, first Director of the Museum and excavator of the Basilica of the Museum of Philippi (known also as Basilica C), has included in the above exhibition a section, dedicated to the excavation of Basilica C. In this section characteristic findings that illustrate both the ancient church and the reuse of the site in mid-Byzantine period are displayed. The opening of the exhibition will take place on Thursday, 23 October 2014, at 20.00. On the same day, at 18.00, the inaugural session of the International Conference "The site of Philippi, past, present, future" will take place in the auditorium Stephanos Dragoumis, where Mrs. A. Tsilipakou, Director of the Museum of Byzantine Culture, and Mr. A. Farnoux, Director of the French School at Athens, will greet the participants. After that Mr. Pierre Ducrey, foreign partner of the Académie des Inscriptions et Belles-Lettres, and Chairman of the French School at Athens, will give the opening lecture, titled «Philippes, la redécouverte d'un site. 100 années de recherches». Duration: 23 October 2014 – 31 January 2015. Place: temporary exhibitions wing "Kyriakos Krokos". Entrance free

Photos