“And thus, they spread the Word among the new people”
Start Date: 29 Nov 2013
End Date: 20 Dec 2013
Inauguration: 29 Nov 2013
Reception Hall (Foyer)
The Municipality of Thessaloniki, the Museum of Byzantine Culture and the Consulate General of the Republic of Serbia in Thessaloniki present to the city’s public the photographic exhibition “And thus, they spread the Word among the new people”, which shows the evolution of the Serbian Cyrillic script from the 13th to the 18th c. through reproductions of precious manuscripts and of incunabula from the collection of the National Library of Serbia. The exhibition was created by the National Library of Serbia on the occasion of the 1150 years’ anniversary since the mission of Cyril and Methodius to Moravia. The mission dates to 863 and was dictated by the noble vision to teach the Gospel in a language that the people could understand. On this idea, Cyril and Methodius formed a base for the Orthodox Slavonic literature, namely the Glagolitic alphabet. Originally Serbs used the Glagolitic script, but soon adopted the Cyrillic alphabet, created by the students of Cyril and Methodius. In these writings, the Serbs left written testimonies of their own version of the Slavonic language, a language, created through the direct contact of the spoken idiom with the Slavonic written expression.
The Municipality of Thessaloniki, the Museum of Byzantine Culture and the Consulate General of the Republic of Serbia in Thessaloniki